Sunday 1 September 2013

Chapter 3

Welcome back to returning readers and welcome to new readers.  Sorry for being away for so long.  The family went away on holidays and there hasn't been a lot of progress on my works in progress.  But I was able to get some souvenir yarn which I can't wait to start knitting on, more details to follow shortly. 

Finished Objects

The Cassis Shawlette was complete a few days before going on holidays.  but I just didn't get a chance to post it. 


 
 
As mentioned in my previous posts, some modifications were made.  I didn't quite like the garter stitch throughout the body of the shawlette, so that was replaced by with stockinet stitch with a few rows of garter stitch rows in the middle and the last rows before binding off to prevent it from rolling.  The size needle used was a US4 (3.5mm), and the yarn used was Ella Rae Classic Superwash Heathers in the 105 colourway which is a navy blue.  I used two balls of yarn, but a third would have been needed in order to finish the short rows right up to the end and so had to stop the short rows before they were due.  I'm not sure if it's because of my gauge or because a part of the pattern was changed but I ran out of yarn towards the end and had to do some quick thinking in order for the finished project to still look pretty.  I had more than enough yarn to do it as per the pattern, but oh well...in the end I have a shawlette that I really like and can't wait to wear it. 
 
Works In Progress
 
I started knitting a pair of sock, my very first pair of handknit socks.  The pattern that was chosen is Socks on a Plane by Laura Linneman also known as Lala who so happens to be one of the Knit Girllls (and yes it's supposed to have three l's).  The said pattern is free on Ravelry.  My socks are being knit on size 1 (2.5mm) and I'm using Fortissima Mexiko in the 227 colourway, which is essentially different shades of gray. 
 
 
 
Here is what I have so far on the first sock, I know that it's not much, but I'm getting there. 
 
Stash Enhancements
 
While in Ottawa, on Sue of the Two Tangled Skeins' recommendation I visited this little shop called Yarn Forward.  I liked how it was nice and quaint.  It didn't have anywhere near as much yarn as Romni Wools in Toronto, which is my LYS (even though I have to drive from Etobicoke).  But one thing this little shop has was a table at the back with chairs where knitters/crochetters are welcome to sit and craft a spell.  That is something that I really liked.  And the ladies at the shop were so friendly and welcoming. 
 
I seem to have gotten sidetracked a bit...anyway, I was able to find this very nice & soft lace weight yarn, which I'm going to say reminds me of sea glass.  I normally gravitate towards darkers colours but not this time.  The yarn I got is from the Manos Lace line by Manos del Uruguay and the artisan is Patricia.  It's made of 70% baby alpaca, 25% silk and 5% cashmere and its on the L9622 colourway.  I purchase two skeins which I believe will be enough to make a reasonable sized shawl. 
 
This is all for this post, but I'm going to try and have more for you the next time around.  Thank you for reading and hope to post again real soon.  Until next time... 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter 22 - Another trip to the frog pond

Welcome back everyone!  Like has a way of keeping me busy, so busy that I haven't had the energy to do must knitting, let alone update y...