Wednesday 16 September 2015

Chapter 19

Welcome everyone!  Sorry for being a few days late, I was hoping to add another finished object but I'm afraid that it will have to wait until next week.  Without further a due, here are the knitting goods.   

Let's start with the finished projects, well there is only one and it would be the Handbreak Cowl by Kay and Dan Jones from the Bakery Bear podcast.  The pattern costs only £1 and all the proceeds go toward cancer research.  The pattern may be purchased through Ravelry.com.  My handbreak cowl was knit up using a size US7 (4.5mm) on Diamond Luxury Collection Mulberry Merino, which is a 50/50 blend of merino wool and mulberry silk, in colourway no. 100 (silver gray).  I really like this yarn, it is really soft and shows great stitch definition, as can be seen from the photograph below.  



As for my works in progress, since my last post one has since frogged the Fish Scales and Fairy Tales socks by Kari Verge.  Nothing against the pattern or the yarn for that matter.  The yarn that I had used was from Knitsch Scratching the Knitting Itch in the 1/4 acre dream, which is 100% merino wool. The sock was too tight and not comfortable.  I may give this pattern a try in the future but I will be using a different yarn and a bigger needle size.  

The yarn has not gone to waste, it has been used instead to do a Mary Margaret's Lace Tam by Mary Craver.  This pattern calls for a US3 (3.25mm) needle size.  Some people that have done this pattern have stated that the sizing was too big, but I did a gauge swatch and took by measurements and decided to make the pattern as is.  But this is something that was good to know ahead of time so as to not make the tam and then find out it is too big or too small.  

Now for stash enhancements, but I couldn't help it, I just had to get this bag from ZigZagStiches on Etsy.  I can't help it, she makes great bags that have very good construction with interfacing on the inside and lined as well.  This particular bag has a draw string, but there some available with a zipper, but I like the draw string.  



Also purchase some yarn from Knit Picks in the Mighty Stitch Yarn in the Pomegranate colourway. Each skein is made of 80% acrylic and 20% superwash wool and weights 100 grams.  The other yarn purchased from Knit Picks is the Wool of the Andes Tweed yarn in the Rabbit Heather colourway. This yarn on turn is composed of 80% Peruvian Highland Wool and 20% Donegal Tweed, with each skein weighting 50 grams.  

Not much this time around but I can guarantee that there will be more goodies in the next post.  Until then happy crafting.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter 22 - Another trip to the frog pond

Welcome back everyone!  Like has a way of keeping me busy, so busy that I haven't had the energy to do must knitting, let alone update y...